His stance is a stark contrast with Trump, who said earlier this week that the United States will halt its funding to the WHO due to its perceived failures and mismanagement of the coronavirus pandemic.Following the US move, WHO Director General Tedros Ghebreyesus on Wednesday expressed regret over Trump’s decision and stressed the importance of international cooperation in fighting against the global health crisis.Topics : Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Friday that the World Health Organization, which faces criticism over its response to the coronavirus pandemic, is in need of reform but stressed that Japan has no plan to stop funding the UN agency.”There are views that it is politically not neutral,” Abe told a press conference, in an apparent reference to criticism including from US President Donald Trump that the WHO has taken stances favorable to China, where the new coronavirus was first reported late last year.While noting that the WHO has problems and challenges, however, the prime minister said, “I am not considering slashing Japan’s funding (to the agency) at all.”
Topics : The Australian Open is the only Grand Slam event to have been played so far this year. The French Open has been moved to September and is due to start one week after the scheduled US Open men’s final, while Wimbledon has been cancelled.”We recognize the tremendous responsibility of hosting one of the first global sporting events in these challenging times, and we will do so in the safest manner possible, mitigating all potential risks,” USTA Chief Executive Mike Dowse said in a statement.The USTA will give more details on the arrangements for the tournament on Wednesday along with the official announcement.While a number of top players had expressed concerns about attending the Grand Slam due to the novel coronavirus, the USTA had said it hoped to go ahead with the event so long as it got approval from the state. World number ones Novak Djokovic of Serbia and Australian Ash Barty along with reigning US Open men’s champion Rafa Nadal are among the top players who have expressed concerns about attending the New York tournament.Australian Nick Kyrgios on Monday blasted the USTA for being “selfish” by pressing ahead with the US Open on its original dates from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13.Spaniard Nadal said earlier this month he would not travel to the US Open in present circumstances, while Djokovic said playing the event this year would be impossible given “extreme” protocols that would be in place.The US Open is held annually in New York City, which has been hit hard by the pandemic. The USTA’s Billie Jean King National Tennis Center was even turned into a temporary hospital to help in the battle against the virus.Last year’s US Open drew an all-time attendance record of nearly 740,000 fans and the event is the engine that drives the governing USTA.The decision by Cuomo comes one week after the USTA said it will eliminate 110 jobs and close its White Plains, New York office to help combat the negative far-reaching financial effects of the pandemic. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday gave the green light for the US Open to be held from Aug. 31-Sept. 13 without fans as part of the state’s reopening from shutdowns related to the COVID-19 outbreak.Cuomo said on Twitter the United States Tennis Association (USTA) will take “extraordinary precautions” to protect players at its marquee event including robust testing, additional cleaning, extra locker room space and dedicated accommodation.No professional tennis tournaments have been held since March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left the sport’s calendar in tatters, and the shutdown will extend until August.
Forgot Password ? LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Topics : Linkedin Facebook Google economic-contraction recession COVID-19 Indonesia Sri-Mulyani-Indrawati 1998-crisis consumption vaccine Log in with your social account Indonesia’s annual gross domestic product (GDP) is set to contract for the first time since the 1998 Asian financial crisis as the government struggles to control the COVID-19 pandemic and contain its economic fallout.Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said the government had revised its gross domestic product (GDP) outlook down to an annual contraction of between 0.6 percent and 1.7 percent as the uncertainty surrounding the pandemic had taken a significant toll on consumption and business investment.The country’s economy shrank by 13.13 percent in 1998 before rebounding to 0.79 percent growth the next year.“Several indicators of economic activity show that the economic recovery is still at a very early stage and remains very fragile,” Sri Mulyani told reporters during a virtual press conference on Tuesday. “We will continue to use the state…
President Donald Trump has now declared that diplomacy is a waste of time when it comes to North Korea, overruling Rex Tillerson, his secretary of state.Investors are getting acclimatised to regular bouts of risk aversion when the latest North Korean provocative act of a missile launch or and nuclear test occurs. It is easy to dismiss the aggressive military posturing of North Korea as driven by just the actions of a paranoid leadership.There may well be some truth to this, but Trump’s response of threatening “fire and fury” the like the world has never seen before in response – and shying away from further talks – harkens back to the very reasons why North Korea, unlike Vietnam, still harbours such hate towards the US.Korea has certainly experienced what war with the US meant in the past in terms of civilian casualties. Numbers vary significantly depending on the source. According to one (Beyond Numbers: The Brutality of the Korean War by Ji-Yeon Yuh) , an estimated 5m people were killed during three years of warfare. Of these, 1.2m were soldiers including 217,000 for South Korea, 406,000 from North Korea, 600,000 from China and 36,000 for the US, with 5,000 from other UN allies.The remaining more than 3m deaths were Korean civilians. Given a population in 1950 of 30m for the whole Korea, this represented 10%. Many of these were killed in massacres, or executed as political prisoners by either the South or North Korean armies.The capital city of Seoul changed hands four times during the three years of war, with each change accompanied by massive political killings of civilians. There has never been a formal peace treaty signed.Now, the Seoul area accounts for half South Korea’s 51m population – all within easy range of North Korean artillery. North Korea has become the “hermit kingdom”, cut off from the outside world (in the eyes of Americans at least). The underlying ruthlessness and cruelty of the regime seems clear from the accounts of refugees.Myths surrounding key issues, such as the craziness of its leaders or the influence of China, detract from a rational approach to dealing with the regime. Trump blames previous US administrations for allowing the situation to get out of hand.Caution may have been a realistic option in the past. However, Colin Kahl, a national security adviser to the Obama administration, has suggested that the inevitable progress in North Korea’s capabilities – to the level where it would be able to hit the US itself with a nuclear armed intercontinental ballistic missile – is a gamechanger.It poses the dilemma: Would the US trade San Francisco for Seoul? If Trump has the mindset that diplomacy is not an option, then the problem becomes that the longer he waits for a military confrontation, the more time it gives to North Korea to develop its capabilities to retaliate – even if suicidally – through attacking the US mainland.It would be nice to believe that the US may have moved beyond tolerating huge numbers of civilian deaths provided US military casualties were kept to a minimum. But instead of reassuring the US’s democratic allies in east Asia, Trump has done the opposite:It is not just investors who are hoping that diplomacy triumphs over warmongering.There may be a game-changing development in North Korea’s capabilities, but perhaps the end objective should be a formal peace treaty and the eventual demilitarisation of the Korean peninsular. It may mean guaranteeing the existence of the Kim regime and possible withdrawal of US troops from South Korea, but if that ensures a demilitarised Korea, it seems a better option all round. (This, however, will require China and Russia as guarantors – which may be more of an issue with North Korea than the US.)North Korea may still win its ultimate objective – the preservation of the regime. But for the rest of the world, that is a small price to pay to avert catastrophe.
FNQ’S LONGEST HOLDING PERIODS Aerial photo of housing developments in Cairns. PICTURE: BRENDAN RADKEFAR Northern homeowners hold on to their properties for at least 10 years.The Cassowary Coast region had the longest average holding period in the Far North at 14.4 years, according to September’s CoreLogic report . The average holding period across the Cairns Regional Council area was 10.8 years with homeowners in Bungalow showing the most loyalty. The average holding period was 16.9 years in the suburb, with 17 homes sold in the past year at a median of $323,000. Remax Cairns principal Tony Williamson. PICTURE: BRENDAN RADKERe/Max Real Estate Services Cairns broker-owner Tony Williamson said Bungalow’s reported holding period was not surprising. “I’ve sold houses in Bungalow where people have lived in that home for 50 or 60 years,” he said. “A lot of the time it’s people moving on to retirement homes.” Mr Williamson said it wasn’t just older residents that contributed to the 16.9-year holding period figure. “Not being disrespectful but it’s not a sought-after area for first homeowners.“But it should be. We call a lot of first home buyers Facebook buyers. They want to show the house they bought on Facebook to impress their friends. “You’re not going to buy a house in Bungalow that’s going to impress your friends but the reality is that Bungalow is going to be one of those areas that has the most capital growth because of the convenience it offers. “It’s three minutes’ drive to Cairns Central.”He said Bungalow was becoming a popular area for commercial purposes. “The average house in Bungalow would probably be 70 years old.“We’re selling quite a few houses that people are turning into workshops or commercial premises.”Mr Williamson said based on trends in larger cities, he expected Bungalow to record substantial capital growth.More from newsCairns home ticks popular internet search terms2 days agoTen auction results from ‘active’ weekend in Cairns2 days ago Cairns Regional Council – Bungalow – 16.9 yearsCassowary Coast Regional Council — Tully – 18.2 yearsCook Shire Council — Cooktown – 13.7 yearsDouglas Shire Council — Mossman – 11.2 yearsMareeba Shire Council — Julatten – 12.1 yearsTablelands Regional Council — Ravenshoe – 16.9 yearsWeipa Town Authority — Rocky Point – 9.5 years
Nova Algoma Shortsea Carriers, a joint venture company between Nova Marine Carriers and Algoma Central Corporation, has bought a 2007-built bulk carrier.The newly named Sider Sirios is a single-decker featuring an updated deadweight of 8,005 tons.The company said that the bulker is off to a busy start having already completed its first voyage.The latest purchase brings the fleet of Nova Algoma Shortsea Carriers to 30 ships of 8,000 dwt.The company’s vessels predominantly trade in the Mediterranean, Black Sea and Northern Europe.Based on the valuation data from VesselsValue, the ship is worth USD 3.28 million.Sider Sirios, previously known as Chyra, was originally built by Chinese shipbuilder Jiangsu Yangzijiang for Peter Dohle Schiffahrts and sold in 2015 to Greek Sirios Shipmanagement.The fleet built-up continues from last year. Back in December 2017, the company bought a mini bulker from Norwegian owners, Oslo Bulk. M/V Sider Venture, of 13,497 dwt, was built in Japan in 2006.The purchase reunited the vessel with five other sister vessels already under NASC’s commercial management.Based in Lugano, Switzerland, Nova Algoma Short-Sea Carriers was established in April 2017.
Although the last few days have beenrelatively calm, with protesters staying off the streets, prominent humanrights activist Jimmy Sham was brutally attacked on Wednesday. HONG KONG – This Chinese-ruled city ispreparing for a weekend of demonstrations, including a human chain at majorsubway lines on Friday and a democracy march on Sunday, the latest moves inover four months of anti-government protests. It has been two weeks since its leaderCarrie Lam invoked emergency laws for the first time in half a century to banface masks, hoping to quell protests. Last month, Lam withdrew thecontroversial extradition bill that kicked off protests amid concerns it wouldexpose Hong Kong residents to the Chinese justice system. People march with a banner to protest against “the abuse of pro-democracy protesters by police,” near Chater Garden in Central district, Hong Kong, China on Oct. 18. REUTERS/AMMAR AWAD Hundreds of people are expected tojoin hands outside metro stations in the city on Friday. Many protesters have also called forLam’s resignation.(Reuters)
However the championship leader fought back upon the restart in an electric six-lap finale. Giugliano fell away but Rea and Sykes recorded record laps on the second and third circuits respectively to bring a big crowd to their feet. Kawasaki’s Rea clung on to claim the win ahead of Sykes, while Haslam had to settle for fourth place having struggled to keep up with the leaders. The second race was more comfortable for the Northern Irishman. He came in 4.399 seconds ahead of Sykes, as the pair once again completed a one-two for Kawasaki. Chaz Davies’ nightmare afternoon continued as he suffered his second technical fault of the day to drop out of contention, having been set for a place on the final podium which would have kept him within touching distance of the top three in the overall standings. Jordi Torres ended up claiming the final podium position, but was over 20 seconds behind Rea and Sykes who stormed home, with Sykes moving up to third place in the drivers’ standings. Rea extended his already healthy lead at the top of the standings by claiming his seventh and eighth wins of the campaign out of just 10 possible, and now sits 87 points clear of his nearest competitor, Leon Haslam. The first race was shortened due to a crash, with Tom Sykes and Davide Giugliano leading Rea before an accident on the ninth lap involving David Salom forced the red flags to be waved. Jonathan Rea continued his domination of the World Championship with back-to-back wins in the Imola Grand Prix. Press Association
Lausanne: In order to proactively limit the risk of spreading the coronavirus, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has decided that all its Lausanne staff will work from home starting from Monday.According to a statement by the IOC, all its Lausanne-based staff will work from home starting Monday, until further notice, with the exception of some essential functions, Xinhua news reports.Following a series of preventive measures announced by the Madrid Regional Government, Olympic Channel Services (OCS) and Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) staff in Madrid have similarly been encouraged to work from home.Because of the high number of visitors to The Olympic Museum, which regularly hosts more than 1,000 visitors per day, it has been decided to close the museum from Monday, for two weeks. After this time, the situation will be reassessed.”The situation around the COVID-19 virus is developing day by day, and many measures are being taken internationally to address the situation. The International Olympic Committee wants to support these concerted efforts to proactively limit the risk of spreading the COVID-19 virus, while at the same time continuing to work at full speed on the preparations for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, which start on July 24, 2020, and in particular the qualification process for athletes and teams. This is the main priority of the IOC,” read the statement.To date, there have been no reported coronavirus cases amongst the IOC’s respective staff members. IANSAlso Read: Japan rebuffs Donald Trump’s suggestion to postpone OlympicsAlso Watch: East Siang District Administration in Arunachal Pradesh cautious over corona virus
FOLLOWING a rain-affected morning at the Ministry of Education ground, Carifesta Avenue, only quarter-finals of the Smalta Girls Pee Wee football competition were played.According to a release from the organisers, the semi-finals were to be played yesterday as well, but only one round was possible due to “measures beyond our control”.However, in those games, North Georgetown, Tucville, West Ruimveldt and Redeemer advanced to next weekend’s semi-final stage.In the first game, tournament favourites North Georgetown beat Smith Memorial 2-1 in a hard-fought contest.It was Smith Memorial who opened the scoring in the 16th minute thanks to Fiona Gibbs but Martha Chance responded for North in the 21st minute. Try as they did, the teams could not get the consolation goal in regular time. However, Chance, in the 30+1 gave her side the much-needed lead to move into the next round.In the second game, Tucville overcame South Ruimveldt 1-0, thanks to Shania Lovell in the 29th minute.Game three went down to penalties with West Ruimveldt winning by the slimmest of margins.Tyanna George in the 8th minute gave the lead to the eventual winners before a mix-up allowed Rihanna Rhajcoomar to level it up in the18th minute.The remaining regulation time and extra time ran out without a goal being scored and when it came down to penalties, West won 4-3.Redeemer also needled St Stephen’s thanks to Leanna Hill (15th).The semi-finals will take place next weekend.