Residents of Del Mar respond to proposed fence along train tracks

Residents of Del Mar respond to proposed fence along train tracks

first_img October 4, 2018 Categories: Good Morning San Diego, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Updated: 7:34 AM Posted: October 4, 2018 Residents of Del Mar respond to proposed fence along train trackscenter_img 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsDEL MAR (KUSI) – For as long as anyone can remember, the locals in Del Mar have been “crossing the tracks” to get to the beach. It’s illegal and potentially dangerous. But the locals know that, and they take their chances everyday of every year.Now, there’s a plan to ‘fence off’ the tracks’ and cut off the access. This is not going over well with, well, anyone we spoke with. “You know, it’s dangerous everywhere. If you walk across the street, if you ride a bike. I don’t think they can ‘legislate safety’, we just need to have common sense”, says George Grecco of Del Mar.This latest plan to stop the locals is a direct reaction to the most recent ‘cliff collapse’ near 9th street, a very popular spot for surfers to cross over. “I think that’s it not a great approach. No matter what, people will find a way. They will go over, or cut through it”, says Andy Shumaker, a local surfer.Over the years, the North County Transit District has tried a variety of ways to stop the locals from crossing over. Last year, they started handing out expensive tickets. As a result, the locals try to avoid those transit cops and get to the beach, one way or another.“This is a way of life around here. I’m all about safety. But you can’t tell people where to go, especially in this case”, says Kyra Oliver.Depsite an enormous outcry from the people who live there, the NTCD claims they are moving ahead with their plans for a ‘two mile fence’ anyway. They even have a completion date for next year.That may or may not happen, depending on how many people stand up and fight.KUSI’s Dan Plante visited Del Mar where he spoke to surfers and residents to see what they thought. KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *