Tag: 上海居家gm

Ten years of deliberate impunity in radio journalist’s murder

first_img to go further Ten years after radio journalist Serge Maheshe’s murder in Democratic Republic of Congo, the real perpetrators and instigators have yet to be arrested. The information gathered by Reporters Without Borders (RSF) confirms not only that the authorities did nothing to solve the murder but also that the Congolese military hierarchy was involved. February 18, 2021 Find out more Organisation Congolese reporter wounded by gunshot while covering protest in Goma Democratic Republic of CongoAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Judicial harassmentImpunityPredatorsUnited Nations News February 24, 2021 Find out more Serge Maheshe was gunned down on the evening of 13 June 2007 by two men in civilian dress armed with Kalashnikovs on a street in Bukavu, the capital of the eastern province of Sud-Kivu, where he ran the local branch of Radio Okapi, a radio station operated jointly by Switzerland’s Fondation Hirondelle and the UN Mission in Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUC). A military court sentenced three individuals to death at the end of a sham trial in which the defence lawyers received death threats. The trial was condemned in a report by the Office of the UN High Commission for Human Rights and even the court acknowledged that aspects of the case were left unclarified. Nine years after the end of the trial, an RSF interview with a former Congolese army officer, Gabriel Maindo, has revealed that the judicial investigation completely ignored a lead that would have identified those behind Maheshe’s murder. Maindo confirmed to RSF what he first claimed in May 2015, namely that an officer identified as Pacifique K. had confessed to him that he and two other officers were responsible for Maheshe’s murder. These two officers were among those who were initially arrested in the investigation but were released without charge. Pacifique K. named Gen. Gabriel Amisi, also known as “Tango Fort,” the then commander of the 10th military region (Sud-Kivu), and Col. Thierry Illunga as the instigators of Maheshe’s murder. Gen. Amisi and Col. Illunga were upset by Maheshe’s coverage of the atrocities by their soldiers against civilians during and after the 1998 war, he said Despite these revelations, originally made more than two years ago, the Congolese authorities have taken no steps to prosecute or even question these three suspects. Far from being arrested, the officer who confessed to Maindo has since been promoted in the intelligence services, while Gen. Amisi has been appointed commander of the Kinshasa military region although accused by the UN of arms trafficking. This impunity has implications for the safety of other journalists. Just a few months after the appeal court ruling in the Maheshe case, another Radio Okapi journalist, Didace Namujimbo, was murdered. The Namujimbo trial took more than a year to be organized and the alleged perpetrators managed to “escape” from Bukavu prison within days of them finally being arrested. Several years later, an army officer told Namujimbo’s brother that he had been ordered to “wrap up” the Maheshe and Namujimbo cases. “We call on the authorities to reopen the investigation into Serge Maheshe’s murder in order establish what really happened, RSF said. The Maheshe and Namujimbo trials, which were attended by international observers, showed how arbitrary justice can be in the DRC and fuelled concern about investigations into attacks on journalists who have no support.” For example, there has never been any investigation into the murder of Bruno Koko Chirambiza, a presenter on Radio Star, a privately-owned radio station in Bukavu, who was stabbed to death on 23 August 2009. Three women journalists – including Solange Lusiku, the editor of Sud-Kivu’s only newspaper, Le Souverain – were the targets of very serious threats the same year without any action being taken by the police. The situation has worsened steadily for the past ten years in the DRC, where RSF has registered more than 10 murders of journalists since 2007 without convincing trials and convictions in any of these cases. The DRC is ranked 154th out of 180 countries in RSFs 2017 World Press Freedom Index. News Help by sharing this information Receive email alertscenter_img RSF_en News Reporter jailed in DRC for allegedly defaming parliamentarian February 16, 2021 Find out more News June 13, 2017 Ten years of deliberate impunity in radio journalist’s murder Democratic Republic of CongoAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Judicial harassmentImpunityPredatorsUnited Nations the coffin of Serge Maheshe in the Cathedral of Bukavu, Photo: Stringer/ Getty image Follow the news on Democratic Republic of Congo Journalist arrested on provincial governor’s orderslast_img read more

Pasadena Police Plan Checkpoint for DUI, Unlicensed Drivers on Friday

first_img Subscribe Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy Pasadena Police Department Traffic Unit will be conducting a DUI/Driver License Checkpoint on Friday, July 15, 2016 at an undisclosed location within the Pasadena city limits between the hours of 7:00 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.The deterrent effect of DUI checkpoints is a proven resource in reducing the number of people killed and injured in alcohol or drug involved crashes. Research shows that crashes involving an impaired driver can be reduced by up to 20% when well-publicized DUI checkpoints and proactive DUI patrols are initiated routinely.DUI Checkpoints are placed in locations based on collision statistics and frequency of DUI arrests, affording the greatest opportunity for achieving drunk and drugged driving deterrence. Locations are chosen with safety considerations for the officers and the public.In California, this deadly crime led to 867 deaths and over 23,000 serious injuries in 2013 because someone failed to designate a sober driver. Nationally, the latest data shows over 10,000 were killed by an impaired driver. Over the course of the past three years officers have investigated 70 DUI collisions which have claimed 4 lives and resulted in another 109 injuries.Officers will be looking for signs of alcohol and/or drug impairment with officers checking drivers for proper licensing delaying motorists only momentarily. When possible, specially trained officers will be available to evaluate those suspected of drug-impaired driving, which now accounts for a growing number of impaired driving crashes.Recent statistics reveal that 30 % of drivers in fatal crashes had one or more drugs in their systems. A study of active drivers showed more tested positive for drugs that may impair driving (14 %) than did for alcohol (7.3 %). Of the drugs, marijuana was most prevalent, at7.4 %, slightly more than alcohol. Everyone should be mindful that if you’re taking medication, whether prescription or over-the-counter, drinking even small amounts of alcohol can greatly intensify the impairment.Law Enforcement emphasizes the preventable nature of drunk driving reminding everyone that all it takes is some planning. Designate a sober driver, use a taxi or one of the many rideshare options. But whatever you do, don’t drink and drive.The California Office of Traffic Safety DDVIP (Designated Driver VIP) mobile app is now available for free download on iOS and Android devices. Launched last year, the new DDVIP app offers enhanced features, allowing users to “Map a Spot” with their current location to find DDVIP partnering establishments in their area or a “List of Spots” to search all participating bars and restaurants throughout California. Users will be offered free incentives at each bar to celebrate their life saving role. They can stay up-to-date with the latest from DDVIP and see what other users are saying via its social tab. Also through the app, for those who want to consume alcohol but also make it a point to plan ahead, users can easily order a sober ride from a rideshare resource such as Uber, Lyft or Curb.Drivers caught driving impaired can expect the impact of a DUI arrest to include jail time, fines, fees, mandated DUI classes and other expenses that can exceed $10,000 not to mention the negative impact on friends and family.Funding for this checkpoint is provided to Pasadena Police Department by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. We all remind you to Report Drunk Drivers by Calling 9-1-1. HerbeautyAmazing Sparks Of On-Screen Chemistry From The 90-sHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty7 Most Startling Movie Moments We Didn’t Realize Were InsensitiveHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty9 Of The Best Family Friendly Dog BreedsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyCostume That Makes Actresses Beneath Practically UnrecognizableHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty15 Countries Where Men Have Difficulties Finding A WifeHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWant To Seriously Cut On Sugar? You Need To Know A Few TricksHerbeautyHerbeauty EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDS Community News Top of the News Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  More Cool Stuff Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Virtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimescenter_img 0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it First Heatwave Expected Next Week Community News Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadena Business News Make a comment Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday top box 1 Pasadena Police Plan Checkpoint for DUI, Unlicensed Drivers on Friday Published on Tuesday, July 12, 2016 | 11:14 amlast_img read more

Delhi HC Grants Bail To Person Accused Of Molesting Female Doctors After Accusing Them of Spreading COVID19 [Read Order]

first_imgNews UpdatesDelhi HC Grants Bail To Person Accused Of Molesting Female Doctors After Accusing Them of Spreading COVID19 [Read Order] Karan Tripathi15 April 2020 8:05 AMShare This – xDelhi High Court has granted bail to a person accused of molesting women resident doctors of Safdarjung Hospital after accusing them of spreading COVID19 virus. While granting bail, the Single Bench of Justice Rajnish Bhatnagar highlighted that country is passing through a very difficult phase and the doctors are rendering important service to the nation. The Petitioner had moved the…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginDelhi High Court has granted bail to a person accused of molesting women resident doctors of Safdarjung Hospital after accusing them of spreading COVID19 virus. While granting bail, the Single Bench of Justice Rajnish Bhatnagar highlighted that country is passing through a very difficult phase and the doctors are rendering important service to the nation. The Petitioner had moved the present petition to seek quashing of the FIRs registered against him for allegedly assaulting two women resident doctors of Safdarjung Hospital after accusing them of spreading COVID-19 in Gautam Nagar area. As per the allegations made in the FIR, the complainant (doctor), along with her sister, had gone to buy fruits where a person started speaking about social distancing and remarked that the doctors like them were spreading infection in residential areas. The complainant then informed the Petitioner that she knew the importance of social distancing and tried to reason out with him but he got abusive and aggressive and threatened that he would get a case registered against them . It is also alleged that when the complainant was about to leave the spot the Petitioner assaulted them and even touched them inappropriately. While informing the court that after cancellation of his bail he had surrendered before the Magistrate and now he’s currently in judicial custody, the Petitioner argued that he was only concerned about the social distancing being maintained between people looking into the threats of coronavirus. He further argued that he has been falsely implicated and he has only protested against the complainant and her sister for not maintaining the social distancing, and on this, both the ladies became aggressive and told that they were doctors and knew the meaning of social distancing. It was then argued by the Petitioner that immediately after the incident the complainant and her sister gave an interview in which no allegations of molestation were made and the allegations of molestation are just an afterthought. Counsel appearing for the state argued that the allegations are grave and serious in nature and the Petitioner rather than being thankful to the doctors attacked and molested them. While granting the bail to the Petitioner upon furnishing a personal bond of ₹20,000, the court noted that: ‘The petitioner being an educated man as stated by the counsel for the petitioner that he is an interior designer by profession should have been respectful to the doctors rather than abusing and threatening them.’Click Here To Download Order[Read Order] Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Storylast_img read more