AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals With the Antelope Valley aerospace boom and population explosion of the 1950s, St. Mary’s became an independent parish and built a larger church on East Avenue R-4, then the edge of town. Now surrounded by tract homes, the new church was built beside the 1956 church, which is to be torn down and replaced by a new parish hall. Parishioners donated money for the construction and more was borrowed. The parish has 8,300 families registered as members, and its priest leads Sunday services in Lake Los Angeles, Littlerock and Acton as well as at the mother church. PALMDALE – St. Mary’s Catholic Church parishioners packed into the parish’s new church for its dedication by Cardinal Roger Mahony. Hundreds more people than could fit into the 1,400 seats filled the church, which replaces one opened exactly 49 years ago when Palmdale’s population was less than a tenth what it is now. “This is a remarkable new church – and obviously long overdue,” Mahony told parishioners Thursday night during the 2-hour dedication service, spoken in English, Spanish and Tagalog. The new $9.8 million church is the 115-year-old congregation’s third. The parish started in 1890 as a mission of Sacred Heart Church in Lancaster. Volunteers built a small church in 1924 at what is now Avenue Q-9 and 9th Street East. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!